So, you’ve written your book and now you’re ready for whatever comes next.
Publishing can be confusing and overwhelming. There are a lot of different ways to get from point A to Z, and it can differ from person to person, and from book to book. However, at some point, your book will need an editor. A professional eye. Someone who is not close to the world you’ve created and can see both the forest and the trees.
That’s where an editor comes in. More specifically, that’s where I come in.
As a developmental editor, my job is to read your book and help you tighten it up. Make the great thing you’ve created even better. I look for all the small parts of the story that make it what it is, from character development to world building, while focusing on continuity, plot holes, motivation issues, prose, rhythm, and really anything and everything else. I look at all the various parts that make up your book and help you create the best version of your story.
I have a photographer’s eye for detail, and an author and book critic’s inside perspective of not only story but how the industry operates. I am also a published author, so I know how the author-editor relationship works from sitting on both sides of that table. I strive to treat all of my authors the way I want my editor to treat me when I’m at that stage. I want all of my authors to succeed.
I am eager to bring all my expertise to your novel.
For a list of books I’ve edited, please click here for my Goodreads shelf. Please note, not every book I’ve edited has been published yet.
What I do:
- I read your book with an eye for detail, leaving in-line comments with suggestions and track changes as I go.
- I usually line edit as I work through your novel. I often find that sometimes doing something as simple as changing one word here and there can up the tension/add to the atmosphere/change the dynamic of a scene.
- Continuity, motivation, and plot are key and I focus on each element, ensuring all of them work together to best serve the book.
- Characters and world building matters, and I strive to make sure each element is developed realistically and to the best advantage of the story being told.
- I never suggest a change unless I have examples of potential fixes to give authors and/or reasons I suggest said changes.
- Your book needs to be easy to understand, paced well, and interesting. My job is to help you tighten all of these elements, and strike a balance between them.
- I strongly believe that every author has their own unique voice, and I work very, very hard to not change that. Your voice is what makes you unique. I strive help you shine bright, not to change you fundamentally.
The following rates start on May 1, 2022. If you have any questions, please contact me.